Motivation is a key force behind any life change. Motivation comes from the clarity of knowing exactly what you want out of life and having an unwavering, burning desire to do what’s necessary to achieve your dreams. Motivation keeps your dreams on course and it is the power of motivation that keeps you going when the going gets tough.
Here’s 5 ideas to help you supercharge your motivation:
- Create a picture board and fill it with images of your desired goals. The car you want to own, the house you want to buy, the city where you want to live yes, they’re the obvious ones. Others could be pictures of vacation destinations, clothes you want to buy, fine restaurants you want to frequent – whatever you can think of that gets your pulse racing. Look at your board each night before you go to bed and first thing when you wake up. Picture boards are not for everyone, but I find that visual representations of my goals really resonates with my brain. When I was struggling with cancer I actually had pictures all over the house to constantly remind me to stay strong and remind me of all the things I had to live for. Pictures truly are worth thousands words and can motivate you without you even to consciously think about it.
- GET MAD. If you want to change your life it is ok to get mad or anger about where you’re at now. Having a blasé attitude towards change isn’t going to create a strong desire within you. So ask: “Why do I want to change?” Is it because you’re FED UP with your financial situation? Does your job DRIVE YOU NUTS? Is your life DULL AND PRECITABLE? Are you SICK AND TIRED of doing the same things week in week out? Are you BORED BEYOND BELIEF by the dull, uninspiring, unhappy people you associate with? THEN GET MAD ABOUT IT. And I mean REAL MAD. Write it all down, all of the frustrating, unrewarding, miserable lot of it that makes every day a dull slog until your final days. ASK YOURSELF…. IS THAT WHAT I WANT? Now stopping the anger and take ownership in change. Stop being a victim and DECLARE you will be a VICTOR! OWN Your MESS and vow to turn your MESS into YOUR SUCCESS!
- VALUE TIME. Time is one of the most precious resources you have and it is also a NON RENEWABLE resource. You can either use time wisely or waste it freely. If you want to create REAL change in you’re life you are going to have to invest time to make change happen. Start by reducing the time you waste on irrelevancies: Television, Internet, shopping, partying, gaming – these tasks won’t help you get what you want out of life and all of them will rob you of valuable time. TIME that you can use much more effectively by investing it in YOURSELF. Remember: You have a finite amount of time here on Earth. One the many things my battle with cancer taught me is that we just don’t know how much time we have – no one really does. But it’s how we use our time that really matters. So make your time count and that means starting from right NOW.
- THINK DIFFERENTTLY. Don’t follow the crowd. If you follow everyone else, doing exactly what everyone else does, you will get the same mediocre results. Seriously, does this describe YOU? Are you too frightened to be different than all of the others around you? Will you commit to follow a different path? Will you continue to follow along following all the other sheep because if they’re doing it then that’s how it is? But if you do what everyone else does you’ll just get what everyone else gets. Do you want to be a mindless, timid little sheep who blindly follows other sheep? Or do you want to be a leader, a happy warrior who possesses the courage to be unique and to do what you really want to do and make your dreams happen? I mean, haven’t we got enough sheep already?
- FACE FEAR. Fear is the one force that is determined to stop you in your tracks and rob you of your BEST YOU. But FEAR can only do this if you let it. Are you going to let this cruel charlatan trample your dreams, steal your happiness and crush your spirit? One trick to overcoming fear is to visualize this quote on your tombstone: “I didn’t do the things I wanted because I was too frightened to live”. Refuse to let fear control you, accept fear as fuel to drive you not control you and start taking action – NOW!
The world is waiting for your unique gifts. Why keep it waiting any longer?