All of us have those days when we just feel a little down and wish we were in a better mood. You’ve had days like that, haven’t you? Perhaps you tried to lift your mood and get yourself into a better place but you just struggled to get out of your funk. Sometimes we get stuck in our own emotional blues and forget how easy it is to feel happier, so here are seven simple ways to lift your spirts. These tips are simple, easy and many people have found them useful.
1. Go for a walk. Most people know that going for a short daily walk is one of the best forms of exercise, but when you re feeling a bit off your game a walk can be extremely beneficial. If you can, head to a natural environment like a nature trail, the beach, a hiking path with plants and birds you will find your spirts being lifted almost immediately. Why not pick up the pace and get some exercise why you are out it.
2. Listen to your favorite music. Music can shift a listener’s state of mind within moments. It’s effect can be nearly magical. Pull up your motivational playlist and start feeling the jam.
3. Shake it up. Try something new, read a new blog, watch a new video, visit a new place, anything different than what you would normally do. Visit your local library or browse through a magazine rack. Pick up or buy a magazine you wouldn’t normally buy. You may discover something wonderful. The key is to just interrupt your daily routine.
4. Laugh. Laughter is one of the best ways to lift your spirits. Find a humorous book, or watch a funny video online. Even better, learn a few new jokes and tell them to others. Sometimes group laughter can really cure the blues.
5. Meditation. Meditation is a great exercise that you can do anywhere. Simply allow yourself to sit comfortably with your back straight. Now close your eyes and become aware of the flow of air into and out of your nostrils. Clear your mind and focus on your breathing. Thoughts will continue to enter your mind and that is ok, just let them go. Do this for 20 minutes, unless you don’t have 20 minutes then meditative for 2 hours!! A bit of Yogi humor, but if you can’t find 20 minutes your really need meditation. Meditating 20 minutes in the morning an 20 minutes in the evening will leave you pleasantly surprised at how you feel.
6. Doodle. Most people can remember when they were young and used to doodle for hours. Kids love drawing silly little pictures. Drawing is not just for kids or artists. Feeling a bit down, grab some pens, pencils, crayons or whatever you have lying around and just draw for the fun of it. You will be surprised at how your state of mind shifts.
7. Think of the less fortunate. The fact that you are reading this post suggests that you are probably much better off than most people on this planet. At times this may be hard to believe, but if you can read and have access to the internet, just those two things alone means you are better off than most people in the world. There are many people on this planet that barely have access to the basics resources for simple daily survival. Allow your compassion for others to grow.
All these tips are pretty simple, but when all you need is a quick pick me up these may be just the tips you need. Putting these simple ideas, methods, tools and techniques into action will help you achieve a better state of mind.